November 30, 2010

Filling Tree Voids

A couple of my trees look like they have butts.

 

070  073

 

This is fitting, as animals appear to use them as toilets.

 

071074

 

Those are pictures of the inside of each hole.  That is disgusting.

 

I had a guy out to the house this summer to give me an estimate on trimming up the trees on our property.  The price was $3800.00, and I threw up a little in my mouth when I heard that.  The gentleman was extremely knowledgeable on trees.  I actually watched his face light up with excitement at the prospect of climbing the oldest tree on our lot, which has a 5ft diameter.  Every boy loves climbing trees.. I suppose it’s not surprising that some men don’t let that go. 

 

Anyway, I took the opportunity to pick his brain on some tree-related questions I had.  One of these was what to do about holes in trees.  He said I could just fill them in with Great Stuff, so I picked up a few cans the other day.  When I went outside this afternoon to work on leaves, I decided that shooting large quantities of expanding foam into massive butt-like voids sounded much more fun.  So I did.

 

072

 

Each void took 1.5 cans.  I called Dad about this shortly after finishing it, and he had bought some cans of Great Stuff the previous weekend for the exact same purpose, but had hesitated, thinking it might be bad for the trees.  He’s since done the same thing.

 

077   078

 

As it expands, it will fill up whatever space is available in there. 

 

I had a little extra foam left, so I shot it into the void through the brick left from when we removed a derelict vent pipe during the kitchen renovation.

 

076  075

 

I left some room to cap it with mortar in the spring.

Powered by Blogger.