August 8, 2011

Barn Wood Cabinet Ends

DSC_0518

 

The exposed ends of the cabinets and of the island were always intended to be stone veneer.  I’ve priced out the cost for the amount of stone I would need and it’s about $500.00.  There always seems to be something better I can spend 500 bones on. 

 

Last Fall, Dani’s employer decided that she no longer wanted a large display unit in the salon.  She said if I would get it out of there, I could have it.  The unit was made entirely of reclaimed barn wood, so I jumped at the chance to snag it.  I disassembled it and brought it home, and stacked it under the car port to keep the weather off of it.  I figured since it’s super-old barn wood, it would do just fine.  That did not turn out to be the case.  When I moved it earlier this month, this is what I found:

 

 

DSC_0525

 

My awesome barn wood had been eaten.  Pretty thoroughly.  About 30% of the surface area of all the wood had been badly marred by some kind of beetle, I think.  I found oblong-shaped empty eggs in these holes.  I had intended to use this wood to make some really nice furniture for the living room, but that option was taken away.  Dani had a bright, idea, though.  Maybe this would work for the ends of the cabinets in the kitchen.  So here is my usable barnwood.

 

 

DSC_0520

 

Although I couldn’t find a single bug anywhere on or in the wood, I bug-bombed it anyway.  Then I used my compressor to blow out any remnants of anything that might be in those holes. 

 

After a quick photoshop to see how it would look in the kitchen, I decided to give it a go.  I cut some pieces and dry-fit them, and I was liking it so far.

 

 DSC_0519

 

So I cut the rest of the pieces, spray a few coats of polyurethane over them, and used my nail gun to put them in.  Here’s the results.

 

DSC_0534  DSC_0531

 

DSC_0533

 

I can’t say that I’m head-over-heels in love with it, but I do really like it.  It fits the rustic motif and, here’s the best part, it was free.  It cost me zero dollars and about 3 hours time to cut, clear-coat, and install.

 

One more thing off the list for the not-yet-done-kitchen.

Powered by Blogger.