August 5, 2011

Installing a Dual-flush Toilet Kit

I’m sleepy and I have to work this weekend, but I’ve been busy this week, and want to share at least one thing with you before bed.  About 8 months ago, the chain connecting the handle of the toilet to the flapper at the bottom of the tank broke off at the flapper.  Here’s a diagram to illustrate what I’m talking about.

 

 

My “solution” at the time was to use this.

DSC_0559

 

It held the chain remnant to the flapper and allowed everything to keep working.  But it rusted away, and then fell off the chain.  Time to fix this properly.

 

Dani and I try to be environmentally conscious whenever we can be.  I’ll admit it’s not as often as we should be.  I picked this up at Home Depot for about 20 bucks.

 

 

The instructions did a pretty good job of explaining how to install this, so I’ll skip re-doing that here. 

 

Here’s the tank before removing the old flushing mechanism.  Note the dangling chain. 

 

DSC_0558

 

After removing all the old pieces and dropping them in the sink, I started installing the new stuff.

 

DSC_0569 DSC_0562

 

The new one has this j-tube that is supposed to keep gunk (like the gunk that is visible in the picture) from forming at the bottom of the tank.  We’ll see.

 

After installing the new hardware, I put the new button on.

DSC_0567 DSC_0568

 

My tank wall was too thick for the included plastic washer-nut.. if I used it, there wasn’t enough space to attach the internal button mechanism.  I ended up using one of the thick rubber gaskets from the old innards to act as a spacer and I’m depending on the internal flush-button mechanism to hold the button in place.  So far, so good.

 

DSC_0565

 

 

Everything is hooked up and the tank is filling.  After putting the top back on, we look good-as-new, with a fancy new button sure to confuse friends and family.

 

DSC_0570

 

For those not in-the-know, this has two buttons on it.  The smaller button is for flushing liquids, and the larger for flushing solids.  Using the smaller button conserves water, and is a better option than the old “If it’s yellow let it mellow” adage.  That leaves rings, people.

 

Oh, and I don’t want to hear anything about the empty TP holder, there.  It’s stupid.  Who can reach back there?  Nobody, that’s who.  We have it on a shelf instead.  Don’t like it?  Don’t poop here.

Powered by Blogger.