January 23, 2010

Radiant Floor Install



I really went back and forth on whether or not to do this.  But I decided, what the heck, I'm never gonna have another chance to put this in.  I'm adding hydronic radiant heating to the kitchen and getting rid of the baseboard heat.
A lot going on, here.  We moved the A/C ducting hole over to be under the island.  We also put in subflooring to fill in where the old cabinets were.  Lastly, against the wall, is the beginning of the border where the radiant will stop

Here's where I started.  Each run of PEX is 8in on center.  The whole thing will add about 3/4" to the height of the kitchen floor, but it will be totally worth it.

This is actually cold-water PEX I have for another project, but I'm using it here just to test out my theory to make sure it's all going to fit.  Those aluminum pieces are to distribute the heat into the hardibacker when it goes in.  I bought them un-bent and I'm using that metal piece of conduit and some 2x4s to bend them into shape.





Father-in-law stopped by to check out my flooring progress.  It's coming along nicely.  I really freakin' hope I don't put a hole in this tubing.
If I had to do this over again, I'd order twice the amount of aluminum plates I did.

Powered by Blogger.