October 9, 2010

Vehicle Access Gate

I've been installing a fence over the last month whenever I can spare the time.  Today, I worked on a double-gate to allow cars to get onto the lawn.  This actually happens quite frequently.  The oil delivery guy, gravel delivery, mulch delivery, pulling my trailer back there, etc.

One of the gates w/ the ring installed for the hinge.  I put a pilot hole, then used some vice-grips to tighten them up

This digging bar is heavy and tiring, but it's hugely important.  I used gravel to fill all the post holes, and I used this digging bar to compact it.

When I was digging the post-holes, I broke a buried gutter drain I didn't know was there.  I used this to repair it.
For the posts supporting gates, I've gone a little bit deeper and I've added concrete powder to the gravel

Gate is installed.  Now to the rails on both sides.

The rails here are way too long, so I decided to try and taper them

I tried tapering them on my table-saw, but it didn't work well because the blade doesn't go high enough.  Notice the cabinet on wheels, there.  All my base cabinets in the shop are on wheels.  It makes cleaning the floor easy, and allows me to roll them around for things like this.
 


This was my wife's idea, actually.  Since tapering didn't work, this was my make-shift taper

Took a while, but I got all the fencing you see here done today.

And there's the finished gate, plus the remaining fencing material.

Still 100 feet or so to go of fencing, but then this project will be done!
Powered by Blogger.