February 22, 2011

Corner Storage Bench: Building

A while ago, I blogged about my design for the corner storage bench I’m building for the Sun Room.  This weekend was a three-day weekend, and I started building it.  The unit is made up of three sections; 2 benches and the end piece.  I’m starting by making the plywood boxes that are the primary component of the benches.

Graduation Party, Aquarium 147

This is how I decided Dad told me to rip the plywood.  I considered using my table saw, but ripping a 4x8 sheet by myself just didn’t seem doable.  I called my Dad and asked him how he would rip it, and he told me to do it this way.  His tone of voice made me think that this was the only way to do it, and I probably should have figured that out.  Which, come to think of it, is probably true.  Basically, lay the sheet on something to prop it up, clamp down a guide piece, and run the circular saw down the length (after making sure the blade depth won’t hit the floor, of course).  Speaking of circular saw….



Look what I got! 

This thing is awesome.  It’s the Makita 5007MG Magnesium 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw.  I bought it at Home Depot because I needed it quickly; it’s a few bucks cheaper on Amazon.  It’s light-weight, has a work light, and it rips like the wood is butter.  Oh man, did this make a difference.  My old mid-80’s hand-me-down Craftsman saw was great for the price (free), but it doesn’t hold a candle to this one.  I called Dad about this, too, and asked him which saw to get.  “Get mine.  Nothing better.  I love it.”.  Ok, that was an easy one. 

After I ripped all the sides and bottoms for the two benches, I wheeled out some of my cabinets as saw horses and started sanding.  And sanding.  And sanding.

Storage Bench Construction 007
  Storage Bench Construction 008

Dani took these shots, so I was actually in a picture for a change.

Once everything was cut and sanded, it was time for assembling the first box. 
Graduation Party, Aquarium 162  Graduation Party, Aquarium 163

Above, you can see how I used a straight piece of 1x4 and some painters tape to make a nice 3/4” strip where I’ll be attaching one of the sides.  The tape will protect the wood underneath from the wood glue oozing out of the joint.  Nobody likes oozing joints.

Graduation Party, Aquarium 166

After a lot of gluing, clamping, and screw-gunning, all four sides are now attached.  But wow, what a sag!  This isn’t supposed to happen with plywood!  I need to be more careful when I buy the wood next time.  I called Dad and asked him what to do.  He said “plywood isn’t supposed to sag; be more careful when you buy the wood next time”.   Thanks, Dad, I’ve already reached that conclusion; now what?  He advised me to weigh it down overnight.  I flipped the whole thing the other way around and put some big heavy bags of concrete mix on each side to hopefully counter the bow.  The next morning, I took the bags off and there wasn’t much of a difference.  I put the bags back on and glued/screwed on the base anyway, and it seems to be holding the bow in check. 
Graduation Party, Aquarium 170  Graduation Party, Aquarium 171

After the bottom was attached, I used my planer to even out any inconsistencies, and then attached the back lip piece, which is just a 8ft 2x4 that I sanded down.  I started the second box, too, but I ran out of screws, so it’s back to the store for me tomorrow.
Powered by Blogger.