February 6, 2011

Outlets and Switches and Cursing

I don’t really like to curse.  I can usually avoid it.  Today was not one of those days.  I hate hate hate replacing old 3-way switches.  It took me 2 hours to figure out how to do it right.

 

 

image

image

 

 

image

 

 

 

 

I’m no dummy, but the fact that the “hot” wire can also be the wire that signals the other switch is still very confusing to me.  I reread what I just wrote and it still doesn’t make sense.  The blue diagram actually helped me figure it out, and after 37 trips up and down the steps to go flip the breaker, I finally got it installed.  Two hours later.  [sigh].

 

So here’s some shots of the installed outlets, switches, and covers.

 

IMG_1330  IMG_1332IMG_1331

 

You might notice the messed up paint under the one switch.  This, people, is why you never:

  1. Put wallpaper over a switch
  2. Paint over the wallpaper

 

I have my previous owners to thank for that one.  Oh well, more painting to do.

 

Now that I’ve wrapped up these loose ends, it’s on to new projects!  Stay tuned.

Powered by Blogger.